[RP TownTalk] Cars vandalized - AGAIN

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 15:49:21 UTC 2006

Marianne and Town Talkers,

I wanted to follow up with you on the events of Saturday as I believe there
are a couple of misunderstandings.  First, a standard police shift consists
of 3 police officers, and we make a real effort to make certain that high
volume times, such as Saturday nights, are fully staffed.  Last Saturday we
were fully staffed and the call record indicates it was a very busy
night--including one arrest for assaulting an officer.

When an arrest is made one officer is taken off the streets for up to four
hours.  The fact that the active force was down to two officers at the time
that the police responded to the call on 47th was a reflection of this
arrest being processed. I'm not sure why the officer told you this, although
I suspect he felt that perhaps the response time was not up to our normal
high standards and he felt you deserved some explanation.

Second, our police force as a whole is fully staffed at the 18 officer level
that was approved for the current fiscal year.  This is one officer more
than the year before, and 3 more than were actually in uniform when my
administration began in June of 2005.  It has been a high priority of my
administration and the current town council to support and expand our police
force.

I want to reinforce your call for neighborhood watch, whether formal or
informal, as no police force will ever measure up to neighbors watching out
for each other.  If something is suspicious, report it!

Lastly, we in town government certainly welcome suggestions about how we can
do better on issues of public safety or any other matter.

Best wishes,

Vern