[RP TownTalk] cars vandalized and other crimes

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 2 14:14:31 UTC 2006

Kind of hard to keep watch on everything in your
neighborhood; but I would say if you do see someone
outside drinking from a paper bag at 8 in the morning,
to call the police; even if they're short a few
officers and can't get someone to the area right away
to check the person out, at least the incident will be
on record.  If you see anyone who you think is acting
strangely, loitering, etc., try to get as good a
description as possible - not just clothing, but any
physical characteristics; moustache, receding
hairline, dimples, cleft chin, etc.  Also, if any
vehicles are involved, try to get not only the license
# (many vehicles used in crimes are stolen, anyhow),
but make of the vehicle, note any dents, decals, etc.
and if you see someone vandalizing property, stealing
a car, DO NOT try to intervene, you could wind up as a
victim yourself.

As to what can be done to prevent crimes - more street
lighting on dead-end or dark streets would help.
Also, and I know this is beyond the scope of residents
or police officers, harsher prison sentences for the
bad guys.  If they're not on the street, they're not
committing crimes.