[RP TownTalk] Town Center

ABragg7393 at aol.com ABragg7393 at aol.com
Fri Aug 3 00:57:43 UTC 2007

Dear Mayor Archer,
About 3 years ago you told me you were working on a plan for town center and
you had a 2 year plan and I should wait it out and see where you were going.
Today, as I walked around at the Farmer's Market, I saw that the old bookshop
building was all boarded up.  Some people thought that might be a good thing.
Maybe someone was going to do some work on  it.  I believe it makes our town
look like a ghetto.  I also noticed that the owner of the corner property, Mr.
Jemal, dug that hole in the sidewalk area and put it back to look like a
mess.  We had those nice brick and concrete sidewalks and now we have black
asphalt where the bricks used to be. I believe we had a grant to do that sidewalk
work.  His destruction of this area should not be tolerated.  He doesn't have
the right to destroy the work which our hard earned tax dollars paid for.  Yes,
a grant still comes out of our pockets/taxes whatever you call it.
Boarded up buildings say the economy is flat.  Boarded up and vacant
buildings don't communicate success.  They create a bad impression for both residents
and outsiders.  Anyone who is looking at where they want to live isn't just
looking for a house or a school, they are looking for community.  That sense of
place is becoming more important as people look at where they want to live and
raise their families.
I urge you, Mr. Mayor and all our council representatives to make this
problem a priority and don't allow a developer to destroy our community.  He has had
ample time to get his act together and now I recommend strong action by our
town representatives.

Audrey Bragg