[RP TownTalk] fiber optic service is coming

Roland Walker walker at pobox.com
Mon Aug 13 05:41:02 UTC 2007

Last year, the town granted a cable television franchise to Verizon,
in anticipation of Verizon bringing their FIOS fiber-optic service to
our area.  FIOS can carry internet, voice, and video.  See

   http://www22.verizon.com/Content/ConsumerFiOS

I drove throughout town today, checking for where the fiber optic
lines were installed (a neighbor showed me how to identify them).
Definitely more than half of the streets have been cabled -- probably
up to 75%.

I believe there are some other hopeless nerds in town who, like me,
think that this is momentous news.

Note to the nerds: sending this to the list allows us all to pretend
that I don't already know *exactly* who you are.