[RP TownTalk] Traffic issues and opportunities

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 14:43:13 UTC 2007

Dwight and all,

The Wakovia Project is in the final stages of approval.  The town gave its
recommendation for approval to Park and Planning several months back.  We
are now in the process of modifying the covenants on the property.

The council followed my recommendation and demanded that the property owner
surrender a strip of land along Route 1 sufficient to provide another turn
lane.  This will be part of the new  covenants, and once signed the
developer will be free to move forward.

We are taking a very proactive stance to bring improvement to the Route
1/410 intersection of which getting the above mentioned strip of land is but
one piece.  State highway has a fund for improving intersections where land
taking is not needed.  If we can line up the ground, then state highway can
provide second left turn lanes on Route One.  Even casual observation of the
traffic snarls there reveals that the main cause of backups is left turns.

It is my opinion (though not necessarily stated town policy) that improving
this intersection is the single most important step we can take to alleviate
traffic inside the town.  Getting it done requires many small, rather
mundane acts/steps, so it is hard to keep everyone abreast of progress, but
I try to keep putting updates in the Crier as well as this list.

Best wishes,

Vern