[RP TownTalk] Pete Buildings

Gerald King Gerald at geraldking.com
Sat Feb 10 06:25:31 UTC 2007

Emily writes:
"SINCE WE HAVE TO EAT THE 5 STORY PART-
I think these building fronts should say something
unique about our Riverdale -

Thank heavens our town still has visionaries who understand that people are attracted to a community for other things besides schools, roads, businesses, and a healthy tax base. Not that these things are not desired and vital to everyone, but what about the environment? What would Riverdale or Riverdale Park be without trees, parkland, a river, an old bridge, a historic mansion, a variety of small and large homes with front yards, porches, gardens, detached garages, and dog houses? What would it be without trains and whistles, and small family businesses, a commuter stop and tiny (Victorian replica) train station? What would it be without second and third generation families, a variety of races, ethnicities and new emigrants? And what makes so many citizens stay and volunteer to enhance and beautify the community?
What does Emily mean by "THIS IS OUR HISTORIC DISTRICT THAT COMPLIMENTS OUR MANSION - OUR PRIDE & J0Y?
Will any and all additions or changes in the Riverdale we cherish "compliment our mansion", reflect our historic traditions, or make our town more inviting to stay and settle in? Or will pragmatists, hucksters and opportunists belittle, devalue and crush our dreams and desires for a homogeneous community that values life and life style more than balancing the books and expanding the tax base? Will the mantle of "cost" be used to thwart any attempt to require new structures to reflect the rich heritage of Riverdale? Was "cost" what prompted Salimi Fereydoun to build a trellis in front of The Calvert House Restaurant? Or was it his desire to create an unique and inviting atmosphere for his customers-- A bit of the "Old World" visionary not unlike those Steirs that built Riversdale. Compare that to the steel shanty down the block called Franklin's.
It is not costs that inhibit the designing of a facade that is compatible to with an older neighborhood. The problem is more the limitations of today's architects and the vision and tenacity of the buyer and contractor. You don't get what you pay for, you get what you allow. If Riverdaliens allow the cost effective incompatible minimalist structures to be built in the community, it will slowly lose its charm and togetherness.
Gerald King