[RP TownTalk] Pete Buildings

Bruce Wernek bruce.wernek at mindspring.com
Sun Feb 11 13:05:51 UTC 2007

All

I would like to make it clear to everyone that "WE DO NOT HAVE TO EAT THE 5
STORY PART" yet.  The town simply passed the proposal up to county zoning
board for approval.  The letter they signed at the last town meeting is
non-binding, which means they will do what the county mandates.  There will
be a public hearing held when Pete is ready to appear before the zoning
board.  If you feel strongly about this condo proposal, I urge you to attend
this meeting and let your feelings be known.

If I haven't said this earlier, the approval of Pete's condo proposal will
set a precedent.  It will pave the way for any future 5-story high-density
construction in the Riverdale MUTC zoning area.  The MUTC guidelines won't
be worth the paper they are printed on as far as building height is
concerned.  All the developer has to do is to hire a lawyer and say to
judge, "Pete got to do it, why can't I?  I would like to ask the MUTC
committee members, the mayor, and the Town council how they will respond to
this question on any future 5-story condo proposals.

I assure all of you that the owner of the apartment buildings across
Queensbury Rd from the old credit union is watching this process very
closely.  Once Pete gets approval, he will be in front of the council next.

The last point I would like to make is this.  The president of the RBA
passed out a report on the condo sales situation in the DC metro area at the
last meeting.  She obtained this report (MriS Trends in Housing, Year-End
2006, Delta Associates) off of the MLS listings, which means only realtors
have access.  It states and I quote, "With a current inventory of almost
24,000 units (condos in Washington Metro area), it will take about four to
six years to sell these units at current rates of sales velocity".  The
article further states, "Only 663 new units were sold in the Washington
metro area during the forth quarter (of 2006)".  Please read these last two
sentences three times to make sure they sink in.  They were written by
realtors for realtors.

If Pete can't sell his condos, what do you think he is going to do?

I feel the same way Pete does about condos in his neighborhood.  I'm sure he
wouldn't want a 5-story condo building a block and a half from his house.
Given this fact, I cannot support him in this effort.  I have supported him
for as long as he has been in this town as many of you have.  I have
frequented his store many many times and helped to pay for the life styles
that he and his children enjoy.  Given the fact that our town has supported
him for as long as he's been here, I would like to ask him to support us and
reconsider his proposal.  I think if we got together we could come up with a
plan, which is significantly cheaper, conforms to the MUTC guidelines,
carries significantly less financial risk, and still provides the financial
incentive that Pete is looking for.  Pete, I am holding out the olive
branch.  If you want my support, meet me halfway.  I've reviewed your plan
and I've got a few ideas.  Let's talk.

Bruce