[RP TownTalk] Question on street clearing

Gerard Kiernan gerardkiernan at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 17 23:35:37 UTC 2007

To all town talkers,

Despite what some new arrivals think, yes, the town has storm sewers. We
have had a storm sewer system since the 1920's.  Even before we had paved
roads.  All storm sewers are under the control of Prince George's County
Department of Public Works and Transportation.

What we have on Riverdale Road and our other streets are curbs and gutters
to channel the run-off to the nearest storm drain input.  Obviously,  when
everything is solid ice , we have to wait for the temperature to rise above
freezing for the ice to melt and run-off to occur.

The existence of a storm sewer system should have been obvious to everyone
during the heavy rain storms that occurred on the first week-end in October
and caused Riverdale Park Day to be moved from Saturday to Sunday.  I did
not hear any reports of Riverdale Road being turned into a canal. So, if
there was no lake in front of your house, and the rain didn't magically
evaporate, then our storm sewers worked as intended.

While we are on the topic of storm sewers, they all empty into the
Chesapeake Bay via tributaries, such as the Northeast Branch of the
Anacostia.

In order to protect the Bay, anyone caught dumping pollutants into a storm
sewer. e.g., oil from changing your motor oil and letting run down the
street  can be fined by the Maryland Department of the Environment. Fines
start, yes start, at $10,000 per occurrence.

As for the earlier exchange today about "snow emergencies" and alternate
side parking,  I agree with Louis King that I never heard the County declare
a snow emergency and our Code section 64-19 is based on a county
declaration.  Our law requires that no vehicles park on the odd numbered
side of the streets not posted a snow emergency routes.  On streets like
Riverdale Road which have permanent  no parking on one side, the odd-number
rule does not apply.  It has never been the goal of the Town to clear snow
or ice from curb to curb.  The goal is to make the streets passable.

The town does not have an alternate side parking rule at the present time.
Since we have purchased a street sweeper in conjunction with Hyattsville, I
suspect that the Council should institute alternate side parking to allow
automated street cleaning.  Up until now, street cleaning has depended on
Public Works employees using brooms and shovels.

Gerry Kiernan
Councilmember, Ward 5