[RP TownTalk] Condos

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 19:46:55 UTC 2007

Well, I can't afford the condo's or whatever they are
that's going up on Route 1, which are "only" in the
$300 thousands; I can see where the town is going to
upscale to the point where people like myself, who've
lived in the area 10 years or more and are in
apartments, will be upscaled right out of town. and
perhaps that's what a lot of the upscale folks want,
to get rid of us "riff raff?" (And yes, I HAVE gotten
some serious attitude from quite a few people in town
when they find out I live in an apartment - everyone
"knows" what people who live in apartments in town are
like, right? (sarcasm) I realize that money makes the
mare go, as the old saying goes; however, I can see
that the town is headed towards becoming another
condo/Starbucks/Trader Joe/Ben and Jerry's generic
yuppy 'burb.  And there's nothing really wrong with
that, except what we have now, the unique mix of
architecture, people, incomes, and so forth, will
vanish and there will be nothing in town to make it a
special place to live.  It'll be just like everywhere
else.  But, like I said, if cookie cutter is what you
want...