[RP TownTalk] After new condos are built- what about traffic?

Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland twacks at his.com
Wed Jan 31 12:22:49 UTC 2007

[Sarah here.]

I agree completely that the intersection at Lafayette and Queensbury is
horrible, both for pedestrians and drivers.

I live north of East-West highway and between the RR tracks and the
river, and walking from our neighborhood to the train station and
business area at "Town Center" is really dangerous - there's no place
to cross to the west side of the street.

Driving isn't much more fun, which is why Sue has trouble walking the
same areas. At Lafayette & Queensbury, if you are heading north to
south on Lafayette (crossing Queensbury, instead of turning to go over
the tracks) people honk at you, or worse yet, ignore you. I used to
drive that stretch every morning to drop my child at daycare, and each
day felt I was taking my life in my hands.

At Rhode Island and Queensbury, drivers heading east on Queensbury
don't seem to understand that cars coming over the tracks don't have a
stop sign, and don't yield to them. Drivers coming over the tracks that
want to turn left to head south on Rhode Island run the risk of being
hit, if not by drivers who don't want to let them turn left, then by
the train!

It's an absolute nightmare.

Years ago I brought this to the attention of the Traffic Committee, who
agreed that the problem was bad. In the end, their advice was to take a
different route.

There was a plan, concocted nearly 15 years ago by MNCPPC, citizens,
and businesses in Riverdale, that advised closing off the section of
Lafayette that goes between the parking lot for the train station and
Mabel Munch Park. Lafayette would connect with Natoli Place (in front
of the large Victorian houses/apartments) and end on Queensbury,
forcing drivers to turn left or right on Queensbury. I still think this
proposal has merit.

We should again bring this issue (the dangerous nature of this
intersection) to the attention of the Traffic Committee (does it still
exist? If not, then to the Town Council), whether the condos go in or
not. I honestly think it's a matter of life or death, and I'm stunned
there haven't been more accidents in that area.

-Sarah