[RP TownTalk] Rental options in RP

Yorkedial at aol.com Yorkedial at aol.com
Fri Jun 8 17:00:52 UTC 2007

In a message dated 6/7/2007 8:51:12 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
medicinewoman56 at comcast.net writes:

I  currently occupy one of the single family homes that are being rented.   I
know that I am struggling to meet the rent (which does not  include
utilities) now.  If my rent goes up, even a little, I will  have to move.
Truthfully, I hope to stay in Riverdale Park until I am need  to live at
Crescent Cities, but if I have to  leave where I am now - I  will have to
leave RP.  Rental costs here are keeping pace with the  region.
Unfortunately, paychecks are not.  Let's not penalize good  citizens for
being renters.  Hmmm?

Dear Medicinewoman56,

We have one-and two-bedroom apartments available on Natoli Place and we pay
heat and water utilities. You pay for electricity and gas stoves. WiFi on
site.  (You do drugs, I call police. You bounce.)

One bedroom, new w2w carpeting, newly remodeled: $875 per month
One bedroom, new carpeting, new kitchen, new, wooden deck, $975
Two-bedroom, basement with private entrance, new w2w carpeting,  $1,050
Two-bedroom, two entrances including ground-level kitchen entrance, w2w,
$1,125 per month.

Security deposits match monthly rent.

And yes, despite the gross misinformation seemingly purposely decimated by
one former councilperson, we pay ENORMOUS amounts of property tax -- more than
$25,000 last year -- and a $75 per unit annual rental license. If RP  were to
increase the taxes just to beef up the new budget, our struggling,
family-run operation would suddenly be turned into as vast wasteland of old  bricks,
new carpeting and paint, and no humans standing (or sleeping=renting).  Sort of
the tax version of the H bomb.

(That said, the town's current proposed budget does not appear to be out of
line. Reasonable economic growth must be achieved to keep services on par
with surrounding areas. But town's folk should not be satisfied with keeping the
neighborhood "on par" and should seek Cafritz-like development possibilities
throughout the town to increase standard of living to equal similar
neighborhoods in MoCo, Fairfax and Arlington.

Or, am I the only one sick of The Washington Post describing the average
Prince George's community as "a modest, blue-collar neighborhood" and  generally
being  accurate?

Jeffrey Yorke
Yorke Property Management, Inc.
301-502-1243