[RP TownTalk] Help make RP what you want and enjoy it too

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 09:22:43 UTC 2007

I think the survey Alice sent summarized my feelings nicely - though I
might add that I want a "third place".

-------

[From Wikipedia] The term "Third Place" was originally coined by Ray
Oldenburg, who suggests that beer gardens, main streets, pubs, cafes,
coffeehouses, post offices, and other third places are the heart of a
community's social vitality and the foundation of a functioning
democracy. They promote social equality by leveling the status of
guests, provide a setting for grassroots politics, create habits of
public association, and offer psychological support to individuals and
communities.

Oldenburg identifies that in modern suburban societies time is
primarily spent in isolated first (home) and second (work) places. In
contrast, third places offer a neutral public space for a community to
connect and establish bonds. Third places "host the regular,
voluntary, informal, and happily anticipated gatherings of individuals
beyond the realms of home and work."

------

We had a wonderful third place in the Riverdale Bookshop and Coffee
Depot, and the S&J is also a third place where neighbors gather. I'd
like a third place where alcohol isn't served so I can bring my kids.

I also like the idea of various shops that serve a variety of passions
- the Old Town Pets is an example of the sort of place I love having
in Town Center. I just noticed there's a knitting supply store on
Route 1 across the street from Franklin's - that's a great idea too. I
wouldn't want to specify a "type" of hobby to support - there are so
many!

-Sarah