[RP TownTalk] Yesterdays' Washington Post - PG section

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Fri May 11 11:25:17 UTC 2007

I saw a quote in yesterdays' Washington Post regarding
the elections here in town, and I must say I found the
quote sad and disturbing; it said, "the loss by
Tiberio and other incombents is the final proof that
Riverdale is shedding its blue-collar image."  As blue
collar workers are and have been contributing much to
this town for many, many years, I have to ask, what is
wrong with a "blue-collar image," are we really
getting that snobby and elitist here?  I'm certainly
not against white collar work and higher education,
and all that; but to me at least, that quote seemed to
state that "blue-collar" is somehow undesireable.  If
people are doing honest work, there is nothing
shameful about it; however, from the sound of it,
these people had better start looking for other places
to live, because they're apparently not wanted here.