[RP TownTalk] Yesterdays' Washington Post - PG section

Marc Molino mmolino54 at hotmail.com
Fri May 11 11:47:54 UTC 2007

The article Sue mentioned can be found here:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/09/AR2007050901311.html

Personally, I was more disturbed by the article's repeated instances of
unopposed or vacant seats in Riverdale Park and elsewhere. In this
particular context the reporter seemed to be interpreting a rejection of the
old as a rejection of the "blue-collar image." Neighborhood-wise, I think
blue-collar still carries a lot of positive connotations (down to earth
people; honest hard workers; local businesses, etc.). Politically, the
association I have is that the same old people stay in power and nothing
much changes. I'm not sure I read as much of a value judgment into the
statement as Sue did, but I'd be curious to see how others reacted.

-Marc Molino