[RP TownTalk] property tax breaks

Nancy Augustine nya_md at verizon.net
Wed May 16 12:58:19 UTC 2007

Aside from our current budget and tax rate discussion, I want to point out a
program offered by the state to give some folks a break on property taxes.

The link is here:  http://www.dat.state.md.us/sdatweb/taxcredits.html

Property tax credit program: "The State of Maryland has developed a program
which allows credits against the homeowner's property tax bill if the
property taxes exceed a fixed percentage of the person's gross income. In
other words, it sets a limit on the amount of property taxes any homeowner
must pay based upon his or her income." It's also available to renters.

There are also exemptions for persons who are blind, disabled veterans,
surviving spouses of military casualities, etc.

Another program is the Homestead Credit,
http://www.dat.state.md.us/sdatweb/homestead.html. It's supposed to be
applied automatically, but it's worth checking to make sure that you're
getting it if you're supposed to.

There are also programs for agricultural property, but I don't imagine that
that would help anybody around here

  _____