[RP TownTalk] Improvements will save money in the long term

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Mon May 21 06:01:34 UTC 2007

On Sun, 20 May 2007 22:27:33 -0400, Alan Thompson and Sarah Wayland wrote:
>But first, let's set the record straight: ... the tax hike is not 27%, at least not for most people.

The proposed tax rate generates 27% more revenue than last year.
I see no way to call that anything other than a 27% tax hike.

Individual tax bills will vary, if you are one of the lucky ones,
you pay only 18% more.

Ouch. An 18% hike in a single year is a huge increase.

Even if you remove the part of the increase that is for "infrastructure
improvements", there is still a 15% increase in taxes. **

The public budget hearing is this evening - Monday night, May 21,
7:30 pm, Town Hall.

Rob Oppenheim

** In this hypothetical case the rate goes down 2.5% but the average
tax bill still goes up a whopping 15% because assessments went up
so much.