[RP TownTalk] Why there is time...Re: TownTalk Digest, Vol 10, Issue 59

Jack Randall Jones jrjones at mail.smart2.net
Fri May 25 18:49:04 UTC 2007

Lines left out of "Buckaroo Banzai and the Eighth Dimension"
Q. Why is there time?
A. So every thing can not happen at once!

Chris makes some good practical sense, this is advice that I have
found in every, management, operations, or maintenance text...things
will absolutely go wrong so spread the risk.

The ancient Romans were quite good city builders, they could put up a
50k population city and have everyone moved in, in little over a
year. The planners knew about economy of scale and redundancy...they
chose the stability of redundancy over economy of scale which meant
that they put in 4 or 5 bread ovens instead of one eventhough that
was less efficient. They did this with all the manufactories and
other city functions.

When I moved in town in the mid 1970's...I noticed that every tree
being planed was a Bradford Pear. I went to Town Hall to warn the
then current administration that the program of planting all one kind
of tree was going to end in a big mess. They laughed at me..."what do
you know about beautification"..."everything has a weakness, I do not
know what the problem is. Whatever the problem with a Bradford Pear,
it is going to hit all at the same time."

Also from my days as a WWTP Superintendent Class A, I learned the
above principle applies in an abundance of areas. In fact contrary to
intuition, for a system to operate at optimum performance...some of
the subsystems may have to operate at varying degrees of
inefficiency. I.e. because a good deal can be gotten on asphalt and
concrete does not mean the whole operation of Riverdale Park is going
to see that benefit, as it can easily produce a diseconomy else where.

Riverdale Park has borrowed money at a good time, the interest rate
is very low compared to the last 20-30 years. There is time and it is
good that every thing can not happen at once. It would be a
reasonable thing to preserve the time frame of scheduled repair and
keep it around a 5 to 10 year cycle.

New Carollton recently had a study done to get the OPTIMAL mix of
road repair methods and repair cycle...perhaps before doing the
action packed every thing at once, it might be good to look at the
optimal economics of it.

Take your time,
Jack