[RP TownTalk] trick-or-treat

Paul Richards paulric at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 2 13:24:59 UTC 2007

Our house is at the corner of 49th and Sheridan, and we are the only house on our little section of the street that faces 49th. All of our neighbors face Sheridan or Ravenswood, so kids actually have to come out of their way to get to our door. Despite that, we had a steady stream of kids all night long.

I sat on my front porch in full "Minister of Death" costume and makeup, and taunted the kids as they approached. "Do I hear new victims... I mean... VISITORS, new visitors approaching?" It was fun for me as well as the kids. They started arriving around 6:45 and the last child approached around 8:45, which was when I ran out of candy as well.

One of the reasons why I think we got such a steady stream of kids is that our house was decorated with orange and purple lights, pumpkins our kids had carved, and a long string of tiny jack-o-lantern lights over the porch. Spider webs stretched across half our porch, and a giant spider was (and still is) climbing down from our gutter. A large candle was burning on our front porch table, just to add a bit more to the atmosphere. The house just looked like we were ready for some spooky fun, and the kids could immediately tell that we were open for business on Halloween. As soon as I shut off all the lights, we stopped getting any new victims... I mean visitors... at all.

I'm sure that the late start had to do with DST being pushed back an hour this year, as it was still very light out at 6:00 when kids would have normally started. Perhaps the "official" times should be changed to 7-9:00 instead of 6-8:00 if DST is going to remain where it is.

Paul