[RP TownTalk] Metro/Belcrest

Nina Faye ns_faye at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 5 19:34:08 UTC 2007

Since returning from vacation and discovering the new mess at the PG Plaza Metro station, I have been trying to find out who and why permission was given to close a lane of Belcrest for the convenience of the construction company.  After 20 or so phone calls this is what I have learned.  Mr. Armand Abrahamian, head of P.G. County Traffic Section of Public Works Engineering, told me that the lane on Belcrest will be closed for one to one and a half years.  This was done after much consultation and per the request of the construction company, because they needed more room for the project.  My spouse and I think this is a very dangerous situation, unacceptable, and can only get more so when the weather changes.  I have spoken and e-mailed Will Campos' office.  I have tried to explain to one and all that Belcrest was somewhat dangerous before a lane was filled with buildings and a right turn only lane was created.  The missing lane is on a curve and just before the fire
 station, adding to the danger.  Mr. Abrahamian says the turn lane was an effort to make the situation safer.  We do not think any of this is a positive approach to the situation.  It would seem that if the construction company did not plan correctly, the entire area and local residents in particular should not be the ones to suffer for it.  Again there is no safe way to either walk or drive to the station from most of the area.  Could everyone please look this situation over and then contact Campos' office or other appropriate elected officials?  The safety issue would be upsetting if it were only going to be for a month or two.  A year or more is outrageous.  Nina Faye

http://mail.yahoo.com