[RP TownTalk] reusable bags

Rob Oppenheim rob.oppenheim at comcast.net
Fri Nov 23 21:14:36 UTC 2007

In addition to reusable bags, I use a large insulated ice chest on
wheels with a telescoping handle (somewhat like a large carry on
luggage cart).

I throw two blue ice packs in it from my freezer, and it keeps items
from spoiling - especially helpful in the summer. However, I find it
so convenient that I use it year round.

It is easier to haul stuff because of the wheels and its big (fewer
trips to the car to carry it all in). Sometimes its a bit too heavy and
I remove a few items and carry them separately.

At first, it was difficult to remember to take along but now its S.O.P.
Finding a convenient place to store it was key.

I put the cooler in the shopping cart and take it into the store with me
as I shop. Cold and frozen items go directly from the store shelf to the
cooler. No chance to thaw etc. Actually, I put frozen items in a double
layer - first into a reusable insulated bag with its own blue ice and then
that bag goes in the cooler. (Department of Redundancy Department).

I use my cooler a lot and it gets knocked around so I needed a tough
exterior. I found just the cooler I wanted (wheels with a tall handle and
a hard plastic exterior) at WalMart for about $30. You can see a couple
of similar models on their web site.

-Rob