[RP TownTalk] Shots fired in Hyattsville - Riverdale Feud

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 00:41:41 UTC 2007

*Shots fired in Hyattsville - Riverdale Feud
[Riverdale] Chief Bailiff E.S. Aldridge, commonly referred to as "police
chief" in the town minutes and newspaper articles, caused the greatest stir
of the decade. As part of an ongoing feud with the Hyattsville Police
Department (and after Mr. Aldridge had lost Riverdale's mayoral election by
a wide margin), in August 1927, Chief Aldridge arrested Hyattsville Chief
Carl M. Blanchard for reckless driving and shooting a gun in Riverdale. The
Riverdalian reported that 'residents were alarmed...when two automobiles
sped through the town from the direction of Hyattsville, east on Madison
Avenue [Queensbury Road], through the entire limits of East Riverdale,
during which chase shots were fired." Chief Blanchard had been pursuing a
motorist.

--**The Riverdale Story: Mansion to Municipality, *edited by Christina A.
Davis, and published by the Town of Riverdale Park (1996), p. 70.

--
"A budget is a moral document." --Jim Wallis
"Don't tell me what you value, show me your budget, and I'll tell you what