[RP TownTalk] how do you feel about raytheon?

Marc Molino mmolino54 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 8 18:07:18 UTC 2007

Jeffrey, Lou, and Jay,
Actually, I would ask the question regardless of the industry. I was kind of surprised that no discussion whatsoever (no excitement, nor any condemnation) had occurred given the size and reputation of such a company. Is there a bigger, more profitable company in Riverdale Park? I was not sure whether everyone was familiar with Raytheon so I attempted to word the question in a manner that gave some context without presenting the company in a positive or negative light. Jeffrey did a good job of presenting both the positive and negative aspects of the company--in general, I'm not a big fan of weapons manufacturers (regardless of whose side they are on), although I do think it would be pretty cool if they had an open house and the first 50 residents got one of these: http://www.raytheon.com/products/javelin/. But in all seriousness, their size and profitability make them a boon to Riverdale Park.

Lou,
That's a good question re: what would be done if there was sizeable objection to Raytheon. I imagine it would take a lot of publicitiy and public outcry to have any impact whatsoever. I assumed it was pretty much done deal and was more curious as to how folks felt about it. I do not feel that every single business should be vetted by all the citizens prior to coming here. If a business proves to be a bad neighbor or takes advantage of the town and its citizens, then I do think the public has a right to redress. I don't see these being issues with Raytheon.

-Marc M.
________________________________> From: Yorkedial at aol.com> Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 10:56:50 -0400> Subject: Re: [RP TownTalk] how do you feel about raytheon?> To: mmolino54 at hotmail.com; towntalk at riverdale-park.org>> Would you ask the same question if General Electric, also a defense contractor, wanted space in Riverdale Park?> If your question is that Raytheon is part of the great American industrial military complex -- bingo -- you are right. But it's American -- our side, remember us? And we still need to protect ourselves, particularly after carrying out some less-than-thoughtful measures throughout the world.> Marc, the answer is YES, we do want Raytheon to be a part of our community. It pays taxes and it does for us what America wants it to do.> And, while we can all joke that Raytheon is "the people who brought you Vietnam," and that it built the Patriot Missile, it is also responsible for great advances in American culture and society. For instance, Raytheon is the creator and manufacture of the first computerized news system installed and used in The Washington Post (1979), switching the last major newspaper in America to cold type from hot metal. Raytheon also owns and operates a slew of technology manufacturing companies including Bell Helicopter and Bell Helmet (protective head gear for your children's heads), and much of the equipment used in hospitals today.> So, it's not all death and destruction, there's a whole lot of life and resurrection going on in this company, too.> My question is why only 90% of the space, why not 100% of the Riggs space or even MORE space elsewhere in the town?> Jeffrey Yorke> In a message dated 10/7/2007 10:27:36 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, mmolino54 at hotmail.com writes:> We spend a lot of time debating about the types of businesses we do and don't want in our town. Some of us are so fed up we'll take anything. Some of us believe we can hold out for higher quality. Expanding our taxable base of businesses seems desirable from all sides.> So I was wondering how people feel about the 5th biggest defense contractor (Raytheon) leasing 90% of the old Riggs building?> Here's how they describe themselves on their website (http://www.raytheon.com):> "Raytheon is a technology leader specializing in defense, homeland security, and other government markets throughout the world. With a history of innovation spanning more than 80 years, Raytheon provides state-of-the-art electronics, mission systems integration, and other capabilities in the areas of sensing; effects; command, control, communications and intelligence systems, as well as a broad range of mission support services."> -Marc M.> ________________________________> See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.