[RP TownTalk] The Retreat from the Heat

Vinnie Bevivino okrastar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 13:54:04 UTC 2007

Dear Community Gardeners:

We hope that you are enjoying the tolerable weather.  Our plants are
growing wonderfully, and we are looking towards the fall with
excitement.  We haven't given you a proper update on the garden in a
couple weeks, and wanted to share what's going on outside.

Garden Update

The cooler weather has brought some great gardening.  The warm
weather crops are being relentless, spreading just a bit further and
sending another set of fruits.  I keep thinking its the last week for
cucumbers, but we've got yet another bucket of them.  Fernando and I
picked about 20 pounds of cherry tomatoes in the last two days, and
our refrigerator isn't big enough to hold all the honeydew melons we
have harvested (they're the size of basketballs!).  And we're
harvesting okra every day.  I think Margaret, the director of the
Engaged University, said it best when she said it seems like that
once plot of grass just wants to be productive.

Looking to the future, we have the brightest green lettuce I've ever
seen growing.  With the backdrop of the monotone green foliage of the
melons, tomatoes, and cucumbers, they are seemingly florescent. We're
going to wait for them to form heads before we harvest them, about
another month.  We have trays of fall greens such as collards,
cabbage, and chard waiting to be transplanted.  We're waiting for the
William Wirt Middle School students to plant them in the garden in
their after school program, which starts next week.  Our winter
squash are being their imperialist selves, spreading out into the
tomatoes and collards.  Yesterday I saw our first little butternut
squash, a welcome reminder of colder weather to come.  We planted a
fall carrot crop last weekend, which should be showing itself any day
now.  Our fall bean crop is coming in nicely, we have both green
beans and shelling beans planted.  One of our peach trees, which
started about the size of my forearm about six months ago, is about
twice the size of my whole body.  When our tomatoes, peppers, and
melon plants finally give in, we have plans to plant garlic in the
open space.

We'll be at the Riverdale Farmers Market this Thursday (today!) from
3 to 7, selling tomatoes, cucumbers, kale, collards, melons, basil,
okra, and anything else that we can find in the field.  Come by and
taste the flavors of Maryland.

We're also really excited to have a new employee for the fall.
Andrea, a University undergrad, is starting with us this week, and
she's going to be working on community and campus outreach.  We're
really excited to have her on board, making our work more visible to
everyone in the neighborhood and at the University.

Upcoming Events

There is ample volunteer opportunities, and the pleasant weather is
just one more reason to come out.  If you are interested in getting
your hands dirty, come by any Saturday from 9 to 10.  We'll be out
there getting the garden work done.  We're putting in weed-free
paths, weeding, planting fall seeds, things like that.  Nothing too
strenuous.

Also, we're looking for a graphic designer who can design a logo for
us.  If you are savy in that field and have a couple hours, let us
know.  We have the idea, we just need it on a computer screen.  If
you are comfortable with pen and ink illustration, we could use a
drawing and scan it instead of designing it on a computer.

If you're a people person, we want to have a harvest celebration in
the garden this fall.  If coordinating such an event sounds
intriguing, let me know.

Outside garden activities, there is a Riverdale Community Association
meeting happening at the Center for Educational Partnership, the
building that the garden is at, on Wednesday the 12th at 7:30 PM.  I
will be giving a short presentation about the garden and its role in
the neighborhood.

Finally, I'm trying to clean up and build this email list.  If you
know anyone that you would like me to add to it, if you are getting
two emails for some reason, or if you are not interested in receiving
these emails any more, let me know.

Take care, happy gardening, and we'll see you at the market.

-Vinnie and the Master Peace Community Garden
6200 Sheridan Street
Riverdale, MD 20737