[RP TownTalk] Fire Dept. incident

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 11:27:23 UTC 2007

> I don't know that going to all paid firefighters as
> opposed to a combination system as we have now is
> necessarily the answer - after all, there's good and
> bad people in every group of people you can name.

I agree with that, actually. And I think many volunteer fire fighters
are true professionals. I just don't think our local fire department
encourages professional behavior. I've heard story after story after
story about them over the years I've lived here, and I'm tired of it.

I urge every person on this list who has been treated poorly by the
fire department to report the incident both to our town mayor and
council (http://www.ci.riverdale-park.md.us/CityServices/default.html)
and also to the county fire chief.

Lawrence H. Sedgwick, Jr., Fire Chief
Fire/EMS Department Headquarters
Largo Government Center
9201 Basil Court, Suite 452
Largo, Maryland 20774
or 301-883-5200 (Business Hours, 8:30am to 5pm, M-F)
Fax: 301-883-5212

Without data, they have no basis for action.

> Perhaps they should screen new
> applicants better or, once they're members of the FD,
> give them extensive training on dealing with people,
> esp. those w/ special needs, etc?

Maybe someone, to whom the local VFD reports should *demand* that
everyone who serves as a firefighter must always behave with the
utmost professional respect and courtesy. As any police officer knows,
you are an ambassador for your profession, even if you are off duty.
Not to mention when you are on duty.

As I said before, one reason this makes me so angry is that I *know*
that most firefighters take their duties very seriously. When one
group behaves badly (as our local department has done for years), it
reflects badly on the profession as a whole, and it isn't fair.

Furthermore, as tax-paying citizens, we shouldn't tolerate it.

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland
Maryland - USA