[RP TownTalk] EMTS

OurDollMom at aol.com OurDollMom at aol.com
Thu Sep 27 12:00:55 UTC 2007

It is not just Riverdale that horseplays
or makes comments when they are
performing a rescue.  At my car
accident in the Laurel area, it took
30-45 minutes to cut me out the car
& then force my foot loose which they
broke doing so to free me.  I consider
myself lucky to have a foot as they
discussed/joked about cutting off my
foot - at least it could be sewed back
on.  I am listening with 2 collapsed lungs
so I could not speak very loud over them
praying they would not cut my foot off &
when i heard the foot break - I thought
how lucky I am to have my broken foot.

During the cutting me out, they (police,
Emts, & those standing around helping
where they could prior to the Emts arriving -
had a age guessing contest each pulling
my hair back and tilting my head up to see
how old I was.  I could not comment but I
had to giggle as they tried to guess my
age & NEVER did.  It actually made me
feel better.  I guess there is a fine line
between joking, my having a good sense
of humor and then their comments about
my being too fat to lift and turn while trapped
was insulting as the comments continued
but I forgave them.

I think the better solution is to do some
special training of all paid/volunteer rescue
people. Some people are more sensitive
than others, some remarks can lift your
spirits, other comments are very embarrassing
& uncalled for.  But they saved my life & I
am grateful.

Emily