[RP TownTalk] map of the proposed purple line

Kate Sharpe katherinesharpe at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 12 13:56:41 UTC 2009

The Town Council passed a motion to send a letter of support for the Purple Line a few months ago.  Attached is the text of the letter with the positions the town is officially supporting (I don't have the letterhead copy).

Basically, the River Road station location is not yet settled, and the Town is advocating to place the station at the corner of Rivertech Court and River Road.

BRT is bus rapid transit and LRT is light rail transit.  The town is advocating for the High Investment LRT option, but with a caveat - instead of tunneling under the park (which, as Alan mentioned, the project planners seemed to consider prohibitively expensive) we are advocating for an aerial structure over the Kenilworth/410 intersection.  The medium investment LRT would cross the intersection at grade, and the Council felt that would have a serious traffic impact at an already crowded intersection.  We are also advocating for a redesign of the intersection and station design that would improve pedestrian access.

Regards,
Kate Sharpe
Councilwoman, Ward 2