[RP TownTalk] Report on snow event and progress toward removal

Melissa Avery m.avery at rocketmail.com
Wed Dec 23 01:58:47 UTC 2009

the fact is we have rather mild weather around here , but we also have snow accumulation.
Any professional running a towns public works needs to be aware of the potential of the weather in the Washington area. If you are not originaly from the area and don't understan our weather, read about it, the weather patterns are well documented as far back as the civil war.

Thank goodness it is relitivly warm this week and most of the snow will melt quickly. When I was a kid we had two or three snow stormes like this. the worst one I rembember was at the end of  Feb. 1979. It was cold and it took a long time for the snow to melt.

Running out of salt is appauling. All the other towns around us had a plan and stuck to it. We ran our snow removal like Andy of Maybarry, "ah shucks ma , everyone was so nice!" , so who cares if we can get out on the road or not.

the unincorperated part of Riverdale is managed by the county. The county was even worse than the town as far as the snow removal goes. But then they don't pay taxes to Riverdale Park.

Home owners in Riverdale Park pay some mighty high taxes.
Town services should bare that in mind. Unlike the county they have an obligation to the citizens of the town who pay for these services.

Public works needs to train their employees how to use the snow equipment so they don't break it and use up all the salt the first time the trucks go out.
Maybe the town needs to rent a big snow plow.
If the money for snow removal  is over budgeted, it can be re ssigned in the next years budget, or carried over to the next years budget.

Also, If the town truly want to improve the snow removal performance, give it an honest assesment, not these self congradulatory pats on the back for a mediorcre job per usual.

But my real question is
Do the town officals want to make Riverdale Park a better place to live or are they just collecting a pay check at the tax payers expence for  pating each other on the back making up excuses for doing nothing really constructive?