[RP TownTalk] Question on digital TV conversion

Cranky old Coot lking at knob.com
Thu Jan 22 17:14:50 UTC 2009

Lou King wrote, On 1/22/2009 11:28 AM:
> Sue,
> Starting with I don't have ComCast, it is my understanding you are not
> going to have to change anything in February.
What a weasel! What's the difference between "Should be OK" and "it is
my understanding"?

Two out of three calls to Comcast say you are ok. (caller #2 can't even
read their script!) Think about it this way; There is no way Comcast
wants to handle 100s, 1,000s of calls on the 17 Feb from all the people
who's cable stops working (think about all the women who couldn't watch
their soaps). So if you needed to change your cable box (or anything
else) they would be sending you all sorts of stuff in your bill letting
you know - and would have tried to put it ON your bill!

Quoting from todays, Jan 22, 2009, The Washington Post, Business
section, page D3, "Fast Forward"

"The transition from analog to digital television ... seems to have
puzzled, frightened and in some cases angered so many people."

"That's a shame, because most people need not touch a thing on their TVs
when almost all analog broadcasts vanish from the airwaves Feb 17. (Even
this late in the game, that deadline could be pushed back.)"

"Among the TV-related pursuits that won't be affected one whit by the
digital transition: watching broadcasts on cable, fiber-optic or
satellite; watching DVD and VHS movies; and playing video games."

The full article is at

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/01/21/AR2009012103295.html

COC