[RP TownTalk] Question on digital TV conversion

Yorkedial at aol.com Yorkedial at aol.com
Thu Jan 22 17:17:22 UTC 2009

The Feb. 17 DTV transition will likely be scrubbed, replaced by a later  date
to be announced. See _www.RadioandRecords.com_
(http://www.RadioandRecords.com)  below:

            Originally  Posted On Jan 16, 2009    FCC's Copps, Adelstein: FCC
 'Nowhere Near' Ready For DTV Switch

By Jeffrey Yorke
The U.S. is not ready to pull the plug on analog television  broadcasts and
to handle the "the expected avalanche of calls" that  would follow the
transition to all digital signals on Feb. 17, say  the Commission's two Democrats in a
Friday (Jan. 16) warning letter  to legislators on Capitol Hill.
In a letter from commissioners Michael Copps and Jonathan  Adelstein to
Senators John Rockefeller (D-W.Va.), Kay Bailey  Hutchison (R-Texas) and Reps.
Henry Waxman (D-Calif.) and Joe Barton  (R-Texas), they said there were "writing
to express our deep concern  about the state of the nation's readiness for the
digital television  transition." They added, "We are nowhere near where we
should be  only 32 days from a deadline that threatens to pull the plug on
television service in millions of American homes."
"Unlike Y2K, the DTV transition has not been the focus of a  sustained and
coordinated public-private partnership," they wrote.  "While the FCC and others
have been scrambling recently to ramp-up  their DTV efforts (often in response
to Congressional oversight),  the late start has led to a rushed effort with
little room for  strategic thinking or for anticipating and fixing problems
that have  arisen."
Copps and Adelstein said that a delay could give the various  parties
responsible for the change time to fix inadequate  coordination between the FCC and
the National Telecommunications and  Information Administration and other
potential government  stakeholders. They delay would also give the agencies
involved time  to better educate the public, which has been struggling with the
transition at large, and to bolster the government-backed converter  box coupon
program, in particular.
The commissioners also believe that a delay would help the Feds  fix the
significant reception antenna problems that loom. They say  that when they began
to travel the country as part of the public  information tour about the
transition it became apparent that  "reception/antenna problems are one of the most
common complaints we  hear" from consumers and that "we only recently
identified the scope  of the potential service losses that some stations will
experience  and there is no plan for notifying affected consumers that they may  lose
service." They listed additional issues involving closed  captioning and
"inadequate consumer support."
The state of DTV transition has been a huge concern for  government officials
and broadcasters alike; all are concerned that  too many Americans will lose
their signals when the shift takes  place. On Jan. 8, President-elect Barack
Obama asked Congress to  delay the transition because of the lack of
preparedness. NAB  president/CEO David Rehr said the request from Obama's transition
team "reaffirms the importance of free and local broadcasting in the  fabric of
American life." He added, "NAB looks forward to a  continuing dialogue with
the new White House and new Congress to  ensure a successful DTV transition."
Obama is expected to nominate Julius Genachowski to replace FCC  chairman
Kevin Martin who this week turned in his resignation  effective Jan. 20. Martin
will join the D.C.-based, non-partisan  Aspen Institute as a senior fellow.
   Copyright © 2008  The Nielsen Company. All rights reserved.

            Originally  Posted On Jan 14, 2009    McDowell Says FCC Isn't
Ready For DTV Transition

By Jeffrey Yorke
The FCC must be "better organized, more energetic and must  coordinate its
efforts in a more open and collaborative manner" if  it's going to pull off the
national transition to all-digital  television signals, said commissioner
Robert McDowell on Wednesday  (Jan. 14) in a letter sent to fellow Republican and
FCC chairman  Kevin Martin.
In a letter meant to put his position in writing and on the  record, McDowell
said he still believes that the commission could  remedy the problems in time
to meet the Feb. 17 cutoff date, but he  said he has "increasing concern
about the Commission's ability to  handle what will be a crush of inquiries in the
coming days and  weeks regarding the transition" to DTV. He called the FCC's
efforts  to date "inadequate" and complained to Martin that his "fellow
commissioners have not been brought into planning discussions"  concerning national
call centers where consumers' questions about  converter boxes are handled at
the FCC Consumer Center. McDowell was  critical of the way calls have been
handled, pointing to the sloppy  technology involved.
"Callers who opt for a live operator are sometimes spontaneously
disconnected rather than re-routed," he said. "I also am concerned  that our call center
has not been staffed on recent weekends, when  consumers having difficulties
with newly purchased converter boxes  are likely to reach out for help. Given
that we have not yet reached  the transition date, I am especially concerned by
this apparent lack  of readiness."
Despite the Obama transition team's message to Martin sent last  week through
Sen. Jay Rockefeller's Senate Commerce Committee asking  for the Commission
to delay the transition, Martin has refused to  put off the date. He has said
it will confuse consumers. The DTV  transition is expected to be not only the
hottest FCC topic in the  coming weeks but also the only topic the FCC handles
during the  first month of the new Obama Administration, leaving station
ownership, the Fairness Doctrine and localism rules on the  sidelines.
   Copyright © 2008  The Nielsen Company. All rights reserved.

             Originally Posted On Jan 08, 2009    Obama Wants Delay In  DTV
Transition

By Jeffrey Yorke
A dozen days away from taking office as the 44th president  of the United
States, Barak Obama is wrestling with a  mind-boggling $1.2 trillion deficit,
fast-mounting  unemployment, a horrifying war in the middle east bubbling up  --
not to mention two wars that the U.S. is fighting in Iraq  and Afghanistan --
and he still has time to worry that  America's televisions won't work after
Feb. 17 when the  FCC-ordered all-digital signal goes into effect.
On Thursday (Jan. 8), the Obama Transition Team reached out  to newly seated
Senate Commerce Committee chairman Jay  Rockefeller (D-W.Va.) and asked him to
lean on the FCC to get  it to delay the long-awaited switch from analog
signals to  digital only.
"I've long believed that there is too much at stake for  consumers and for
public safety to simply cross our fingers  and hope for the best when it comes
to the digital-television  transition," said Rockefeller in a prepared
statement.  "Millions of Americans could be left in the dark if this  doesn't go
smoothly."
Rockefeller, who has long been on the edge of his chair  watching the Kevin
Martin-led FCC, added, "The Obama  Administration deserves time to bring order
to what has been  an appallingly mismanaged process by the Bush
Administration.  I look forward to reviewing the details of the Obama  Administration
proposal with my colleagues and will support  delaying the current date of the DTV
transition until we can  do it right."
FCC commissioner Michael Copps, a Democrat, has for the  past 18 months been
publicly critical of the way the FCC has  prepared the public for the
monumental transaction. "More time  can only help put in place the kind of
consumer-focused  outreach and assistance that should have been up-and-running  months
ago," he said.
The FCC could take up the request during its Jan. 15 public  meeting. It
released the meeting's agenda Thursday evening,  and it includes a discussion on
the "Implementation of  Short-Term Analog Flash and Emergency Readiness Act,"
"Establishment of DTV Transition 'Analog Nightline' Program,"  and a
presentation on the "FY 2008 Senior Executive Service  Performance Ratings, Bonus, and
Pay Increase Recommendations."  The SES, as it is known in federal government
service, is an  elite corps of bureaucrats, the top of the pile, who earn
between $117,787 and $177,700  annually.
   Copyright ©  2008 The Nielsen Company. All rights reserved.

In a message dated 1/22/2009 11:38:06 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,