[RP TownTalk] Charles Benedict Calvert, Riversdale & the telegraph

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Tue May 5 15:10:33 UTC 2009

RE the first telegraph, this is the version I'd read and heard before:
http://www.hmdb.org/Marker.asp?Marker=6072
(That's the text of the historical marker at Bladensburg Waterfront)

On some belated and not-so-profound reflection, it seems that Mr Weber
must of course be wrong. Since they didn't have WiFi in the day,
presumably the first telegraph must have been sent from where the
wires were laid - and those would have been next to the RxR tracks -
not on the property of the mansion.  So, yes, "near the mansion" but
not "from" the mansion.

That being said, I'm glad to know of Mr Calvert's role in getting
funding for the telegraph project. He obviously had appreciation for
things like science, education, infrastructure...