[RP TownTalk] Street sweeping

Jeffrey Yorke yorkedial at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 03:51:15 UTC 2009

Credit Lady Bird Johnson's campaign to "Keep America Beautiful" to reminding
the public not to trash their environment. The campaign worked With Lady
Bird getting out of the White House and planting flowers, picking up trash,
changing the scenery all over town and all over the country. Today the
flower-packed park on Columbia Island at the edge of the Pentagon's east
parking lot and along the banks of the Potomac on the George Washington
Memorial Parkway, is named after Mrs. Johnson to honor her campaign. She
picked the site because it was the point along the parkway where she and LBJ
often stopped to look back and admire the city of Washington.

Michelle Obama has taken a page out Lady Bird's playbook with her White
House garden, which, as of yesterday, produced some 225 pounds of organic
vegitables.

It's all about leading by example.

Perhaps there ought to be some simlar site and town celebrity-lead event to
introduce the green machine and encourage youngsters to protect and promote
their green environment. Perhaps there is a historical tie-in with George
Calvert, who inspired the founding and creation of the U.S. Dept. of
Agriculture in 1862 and the launch of the Maryland Aguricultire College?

This could be the seed of a home-grown history lesson and modern-day
cultural revolution  all at once?