[RP TownTalk] We the people contd

catarina correia chatareena at gmail.com
Wed Apr 28 14:03:52 UTC 2010

before i too bow out of this discussion, i wanted to make sure my opinion
was clear.

i initially started posting because i was shocked/upset by the seemingly
short-sighted and intolerant posts by some of my neighbors about illegal
immigrants.

unfortunately, illegal immigration is a problem in this country for a number
of reasons.  However, i REFUSE to fault/criminalize the illegal immigrant
who is here,( perhaps overcrowding a home) to make money to survive.  there
are many reasons why people from Mexico and Central America are
here and it is essential to look at the roots of the problem.

Free trade agreements like NAFTA have displaced millions of workers who
flood into the United States.  these agreements have severely lowered wages
in other countries, forced local farmers out of business, exploited and
harmed workers in other countries and pillaged their environment.  in places
like india and china they have created innumerable inastances of starvation
wages, child workers, slave-labor hours and perilous work conditions.

also, federal regulations on the hiring of illegal immigrants are not
enforced, so places like Walmart continue to exploit illegal immigrants with
no consequence.

i could go on, but my point is that instead of demonizing our nighbors, we
should be boycotting places like Walmart that have no respect for federal
labor laws or unions, demanding an end to NAFTA and CAFTA which hurt workers
here and abroad.

if you are worried about the taxes these illegal immigrants may or may not
be paying, there are a lot BIGGER sources of unpaid taxes out there - eg.
GE, Bank of America who owe MILLIONS in tax money.

and, yes, i believe we should be absolutely up in arms about the draconian,
racist law passed in Arizona which basically makes it illegal to "walk while
brown".

this article is good and i leave you with a thought from it:

"Instead of expressing gratitude for the back-breaking work migrant laborers
contribute to our society, there is an increasingly virulent strain of
racism that targets non-citizens.

Let us join the voices of compassion and oppose the mean-spirited actions
that aim to scapegoat immigrants. Laws like SB 1070 demean us all."

thank you,
Catarina