[RP TownTalk] Hyattsville to College Park Trolley Trail Update

Sarah Wayland sarah.wayland at gmail.com
Sat Jul 10 14:44:16 UTC 2010

It's my understanding that MNCPPC is in fact trying to figure out who
actually owns the land upon which the trail will be constructed.

>From the February 2009 Town Crier:
"Recently, funding was placed in the M-NCPPC budget to complete a
planning and design study for the Riverdale Park and Hyattsville
segments of the trail corridor....The M-NCPPC Department of Parks and
Recreation has funding in the FY 2009 Capital Improvement Program to
complete the design work and construct initial phases of the trail."

MNCPPC is funding the construction of the trail; the town(s) will be
responsible for policing and maintenance. Currently there is no
funding for installing lighting on the trail (MNCPPC and the
municipalities wanted lighting, but there is just no money to fund it
in these lean economic times.)

As I understand it, no one is quite sure who owns major portions of
the trail. The town had its lawyer investigate and he was unable to
determine who owned some of the land. Because of this, there is a
process MNCPPC must undergo before it can exercise eminent domain and
move ahead with construction.

That said, I do believe design and planning are well underway. There
are just a number of legal issues that must be resolved before we can
move ahead.

-Sarah

--
Sarah Wayland