[RP TownTalk] Nets at the field of dreams

Nicholas Laureys nicholas.laureys at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 16:26:20 UTC 2010

Before anyone converts this space into a nature trail/park (which I don't
think should be seriously considered without first holding a town
referendum), please think of all the Riverdale families (including many
young children!) who took the time in the 1990's to raise money for and
physically volunteered to build that baseball field.  I think it would be an
awful lesson for this generation of children that a town can easily destroy
something the community came together to build at the whim of a future
majority.  Also, it looks like as recently as 2005 children were using that
field, so the poster who claims that only adults use the field isn't being
entirely accurate: http://www.lesliesgarden.com/riverdale/riverdale.htm  In
place of tearing up the field, I know some good places nearby that offer
yoga classes for mediation.

--
Nicholas Laureys
~
nicholas.laureys at gmail.com

I just want to inform Bruce and Jim that it takes more than 5 to 10 minutes
for me to lower those nets with help from Corey.  It would have been very
easy if we had a knife, but unfortunately we did not.  I love how people
just assume how easy something is that they have never done.
The nets used on the field are in violation of the Migratory Bird Act.  It
has nothing to do about whether one cares about wildlife or not.
The nets have no benefit to the town in general.  The nets benefit the team
playing on the field and the neighbors on the end of the field.  If the team
wants to play ball on that field, then they should be responsible for taking
the nets down.  Simple..
I said before that I don't mind going over and doing the nets, but what
happens when I am not around or get sick... who will do it then?
Please, I ask the town to make sure the team knows what the rules are and
follows the rules or gets their permit pulled.  Or, more simply let's just
get rid of the nets and the ball field and replace it with a pine bark
walking trail and meditation garden.  A nice quiet place for birds and
people....with just the whistle of the train now and then.
Audrey