[RP TownTalk] Traffic con't...

David Michailof drmsparks at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 13:20:33 UTC 2010

As Alan has pointed out, trains are really beyond our control but normal traffic problems are not.  The trains were here before the houses were (unless you live in the Mansion), so they are part of the package when you choose to live here.

I'd be curious how many traffic tickets are handed out each day per squad car/shift.  I see enforcement on route 1 (where commuter traffic routinely exceeds 20 miles an hour over the speed limit) quarterly at best and it's university park officers 90% of the time (River dale or the county are out there maybe 5% each).  The drivers on route 1 are a real hazard.  The people who "block the box" shut down traffic but unlike the speeders on route 1 haven't killed anyone yet.

Countless studies have shown that aggressive traffic enforcement drives down all other forms of crime in a jurisdiction.  Perhaps this is something we should actively consider.

Dave