[RP TownTalk] Purple line and growth

Sue Collins wheadle at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 9 17:45:35 UTC 2010

Maryland, like many other urban areas, will continue to experience growth.  Just
in the surrounding areas in the past few years we've seen many new condo
developments and apartments being built, new businesses, and now the Purple
Line.  As I've said before, change is inevitable (if not comfortable). Now- many
people think all of this growth is a good thing but I have to ask, how much
planning is being done ahead of time?  More condos and apartments, a new transit
line, etc., means more of a drain on town services (emergency services, trash
removal, etc).  If more people move into the area, what about schools?  The
dramatic increase in traffic?  Any of us who've lived ihere  for any length of
time probably have heard more than our share of horror stories from
surrounding areas which experienced a lot of growh in a relatively short period
of time. stories about underfunding, public services that are severely
overloaded with work, a dramatic increase in crime, etc.; the reaction you hear
most often is, "we didn't plan for THIS."  If there's going to be change then so
be it; however, if there is not a lot of careful planning NOW for what will
happen in the long run, I can see our lovely town vanishing completely and I
think that is a  shame.