[RP TownTalk] This N That

Cranky old Coot lking at knob.com
Sat Nov 13 16:38:26 UTC 2010

Yes Sarah, that is a poetic description of the state of things. But you
may have missed my point.

Domestic cats are not a natural part of the local environment, they are
an invasive species. As such they do not have a natural predator to
control their numbers nor their predation of local species. In fact they
have an other "invasive species" adding and abetting them!

Yes the local hawks, I have seen several variates, do make their
"living" at the expense of others, yet a hawk in a stoop is a beautiful
thing to watch. The feral domestic cat causes the same damage to the
local fauna as kudzu has causes to the southern flora and for the same
reason, no natural control.

Introducing one invasive species, the feral cat, to control an other,
the Norwegian rat, that has become a nuance because of poor hygiene of a
third, us - is a course of action that has gotten civilization in
trouble more than once.

Using "rat control" as a justification for feral cats instead of
insisting on stringent enforcement of the health code (and control of
garbage) is truly an example of treating the symptom and not the
disease. Just gives me a headache.

--
I'm the Cranky Old Coot's keeper, and I approve this message

Lou King