[RP TownTalk] shocking strong armed robbery on Harrison Street

Vernon Archer varcher at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 16:13:31 UTC 2010

Dear friends and neighbors,

I have some information about a strong armed robbery that took place on
Harrison Avenue yesterday afternoon at about 3 PM.  While we sometimes get
jaded by the crime that unfortunately occurs around us, this particular
incident is so shocking that I feel I must bring it to your attention so
that you will remain alert to what I must consider a continuing threat.

Two of our neighbors were attacked while leaving their home on Harrison
Street. I thank God that the mother and her 10 year-old-daughter escaped
serious physical injury.  Police report that an arrest of someone they
believe to be one of the two attackers has been made; however, at least one
of the attackers remains at large. We must also be aware that it is possible
the person arrested may prove to not be the other felon. On the reverse side
of this letter is an edited version of the police report of the incident
which is provided to help you to stay safe.

Please remember in times like these to report suspicious activity to the
police. They are trained to be cautious and if what you report turns out to
be inocent, they will quickly figure it out and act accordingly.  Often
times the way police are able to identify and stop crime is by piecing
together a variety of bits of information, and the small thing you report
might just be the piece of the puzzle they need!

Stay safe and best wishes,

Vernon Archer
Information from Riverdale Park Police:

On 09/17/2010, at approximately 3 p.m., Riverdale Park police officers
responded to the area of Baltimore Avenue and Oliver Street for a report of
a citizen robbery. The victim reported that she had been robbed in the 5900
block of Harrison Avenue.  There were two witnesses to the incident, and
detailed descriptions of the suspects were obtained from all parties.

The crime occurred when two suspects announced a robbery and demanded the
victim’s money. When the victim refused to comply, one suspect punched her
in the face and took her purse. The victim’s daughter was held in a choke
hold by a second suspect as the first suspect attacked the victim. The
victim fought back but was overpowered.

The suspects then fled on foot towards Baltimore Avenue with the victim
chasing after them. One of the suspects (the one who punched the victim) was
stopped by a Riverdale Park police officer near the intersection of
Queensbury Road and Lafayette Avenue.  The victim and witnesses positively
identified this subject, later identified as Dashaun Terrence Richardson of
5901 Harrison Avenue, as one of the robbery suspects.  Richardson denied
involvement and refused to talk to police investigators. The other suspect
made good his escape and remains at large. He is described as a black male
in his mid 20s, approximately 5’7” tall, 180 pounds, with black hair and
brown eyes, light-skinned, heavy set.  At the time, he was wearing a black
or blue button-up shirt and blue pants.

The stolen property has not been recovered.

--
Vernon Archer, Mayor
Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland