[RP TownTalk] Route 1 and Queensbury Road

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 14:15:02 UTC 2011

Doug, and others -

About a year ago this subject came up. I wrote SHA at the time and
they first replied they would do a study of the situation; then in
October they sent the following reply.  I have just written asking for
an update on their plans and progress. I will share their response
when I hear back.

+++
Dear Mr. Holmes:

This email is in further response to your traffic and safety concerns
at the subject location in Prince George’s County.  The State Highway
Administration (SHA) appreciates the opportunity to assist you with
this matter.

The SHA’s District 3 Traffic engineering staff has completed its
investigation, and would like to share the findings with you.  Field
observations were performed at the intersection during both morning
and evening peak hours.  The signals at US 1 (Baltimore Avenue) at
Queensbury Road and at MD 410 (East-West Highway) are interconnected
to provide synchronization and progression along US 1, and the signal
timing has been optimized to the point where no further timing
adjustments can be made to reduce the congestion along northbound US
1.  As you know from previous correspondences the SHA is pursuing a
project at the intersection of US 1 and MD 410, which will add an
additional left turn lane along northbound US 1.  The double left turn
lanes in the northbound direction will improve traffic operations at
this intersection as well as improve the queuing that is taking place
through Queensbury Road.  Design funding was recently secured for the
project; however, a schedule has not been established at this time.

In the meantime, “Do Not Block Intersection” signs will be installed
on all four legs of the intersection.  The signs will inform drivers
to stay behind the stop line and not to block the intersection when
the traffic signal turns red.  This work typically takes sixty (60)
days for maintenance forces to have the signs fabricated and
installed, weather and scheduling permitting.  In addition, by copy of
this email, we are also requesting that the Riverdale Park Police
Department provide selective enforcement of the “Do Not Block
Intersection” signing, once installed.

Further, along Queensbury Road at US 1, a request was sent to the
SHA’s Office of Traffic and Safety (OOTS) to modify this signal such
that each leg of Queensbury Road would have a separate green phase.
The modification will provide Queensbury Road with safer and more
orderly turning maneuvers as well as improve overall traffic
operations.

As for the red light camera installation, the local police
jurisdictions would determine the need for such a device.  Therefore
by copy of this email the SHA is requesting that the Riverdale Park
Police Department evaluate the need for a red light camera and take
any necessary action required for installation.  They can also be
reached via telephone at 301-927-4343.

Thank you for bringing this concern to our attention.  If you have any
further questions or concers, please feel free to contact me or my
Team Leader for Traffic, Mr. Peter Campandies, at 301-513-7335 or
1-800-749-0737.

Sincerely,

Felecia Murphy

Assistant District Engineer-Traffic