[RP TownTalk] Route 1, Queensbury, and beyond (Sue Collins)

Melissa Avery m.avery at rocketmail.com
Thu Aug 4 13:18:20 UTC 2011

410 was put through Riverdale Park in 1967 taking out 66 large Victorian homes and dividing the town in half. That was suppose to keep people from using Riverdale road and Queensbury road as cut through from Hyattsville and New Carroliton.

Back in the 1950's both sides of Riverdale Park experienced huge building booms, similar to today.

This caused several huge problems for the town.  One was that it became a cut through. The traffic was so bad and there were so many car  accidents with the railway that CSX planned to permanently close the at grade crossing.

Town politicians, including Guy Tiberio, went o the state and made sure the crossing was left open. They relized if it were closed it would only further segment the town.

Personally, I think it should be only open at specified times of the day or to town residents, similar to the part of Queesburry in Hyattsville.

The other major problem brought about by the building boom was flooding.

All the land surrounding Riverdale Park is a flood plane. The increased building, he lack of research on the kind of land, led to terrible flooding through this entire part of Prince Georges County.

The Army Corp of Engineers paved the tributaries and straightened out the river in 1957. that eliminated the flooding. This restructuring of nature is starting o fail.

Today FEMA is reexamining the leaves and pumping stations. They are soon going to be building he sides of the river up three feet. bringing in gigantic dump trucks filled with clay dirt.
The level of the river will also rise.
So that is another thing we have to look forward to.

As the saying goes those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.