[RP TownTalk] Local rag mistaken for Serious Journalism

Chris Currie crcurrie at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 02:51:41 UTC 2011

Several months ago, then-Hyattsville Mayor Bill Gardiner suggested that the
Hyattsville Life & Times apply for journalism awards.  We did, and the
National Newspaper Association just announced that the Life & Times won two
awards in its annual newspaper competition - one of only three Maryland
papers to win this year.   Read about which articles won, and why, right
here <http://issuu.com/hyattsvillelifeandtimes/docs/2011-08final> .

While you're in our online version, check out some of the fare that may win
prizes at next year's NNA Awards:

.         Profiles of three, count 'em, new principals at local schools

.         Why every other top manager's desk sits empty at Hyattsville City
Hall

.         Which excused - and unexcused - absences led to the first
cancellation of a Hyattsville Council Meeting in modern memory

.         What event filled St. Jerome Church's 1200 seats for the first
time in at least 20 years

.         Why a certain award-winning editor is going to pay more attention
to everyday Hyattsville

.         Columns: Who put the Hyatt in Hyattsville; Miss Floribunda, taking
root; and another provocative installment of Hugh's News

All just a mouse-click away:

http://issuu.com/hyattsvillelifeandtimes/docs/2011-08final

Also, beginning this month, pick up a free copy of the Life & Times at the
Glut Food Co-op or Joe's Movement Emporium in vibrant Mount Rainier.  Or
subscribe for free online and be notified each month by email of the new
issue.

Chris Currie

Hyattsville