[RP TownTalk] if you support mixed use development of Cafritz property

Joe Kelly mrjoekelly at operamail.com
Thu Aug 11 02:36:25 UTC 2011

Let me start by saying that I completely support Ms. Finley's right to
produce this letter and make it available to others who feel the same. I
think it is wonderful that this particular project has spurred such
interest in the community. It is a great thing for citizens to educate
themselves, form opinions and take a public stance for what they
believe. Without being overly dramatic, this is the bedrock upon which
our democracy rests. I encourage you all to not let your involvement end
with this issue. However (and, yes, I know you knew that was coming), my
concern with granting the rezoning request is that the project has not
been fully thought out, at least what has been made public. Once
granted, the rezoning cannot be overturned if things do not proceed to
everyone's satisfaction. We would then be in the position of making the
best of a bad situation. At present, we do not have a bad situation,
merely an unfortunate one for some of the parties involved. It is worth
the community's effort to explore other uses for the land or demand a
much more comprehensive publicly presented design before supporting the
requested rezoning. Merely requesting good faith efforts by other
parties with widely divergent interests is ineffective at best, and
possibly, naive at worst. Remember-- "We the people" may not own that
land, but we DO own these towns.
--
  Joe Kelly
  mrjoekelly at operamail.com