[RP TownTalk] Public Presentation Mon Jul 18 7:30pm on Development of Rt 1 Cafritz Property

lorak planet planetlorak at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 16 20:31:03 UTC 2011

Dear Neighbors,

I'd like to make you aware of information I received today.  Over 70 of my valued neighbors from University Park, Berwyn Hts, Mount Rainier, Hyattsville, College Park and a few from Riverdale Park have their names listed on a letter to us all about the upcoming public presentation of the new Cafritz development plan at this Monday's University Park Town Council Meeting.

The meeting, Monday July 18 at 7:30pm.,  is at the University Park Elementary School, 4315 Underwood St, University Park MD  20782.

According to the information I received, this is currently the only scheduled public presentation of the new development proposal.  In addition, the Cafritz development team is seeking a zoning change to support their proposal for 995 new residential units including condos, apartments, townhouses, a hotel and a Whole Foods.  The proposal also includes a single point of entry/exit at Van Buren St on Rt1.  If approved, this would be a significant zoning change outside the usual planning process and would not accommodate community input provided several years ago at public meetings. The Cafritz property is 35.8 acres of Riverdale Park on the east side of Rt 1, between the National Guard Armory and Albion Road.

I hope many Riverdale Parkies appreciate the importance of being informed and the responsibilities of citizenship in taking actions to steward the future of our community.

For more information, please contact route1coalition at gmail.com

regards,

Lora Katz