[RP TownTalk] graffiti as artAnd

Nancy Mooney nbmooney1 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 23 13:03:30 UTC 2011

yes - graffiti is self-expression, and thoughtful and thought provoking as
well.  That's why Monet, Degas, Van Gough, and others used it to express their
statements on life .... oh, wait, no, they bought canvas and paint and expressed
it in a legal way that did no harm to other people's property.  Why do I get
that mixed up with graffiti?  Weird!

Law-breaking as self-expression - YES!  That's what I tried to tell the officer
when recently pulled over for running (in error, I can assure you) a red light
in DC.  I was expressing the fact that I was dang frustrated at having to stop
at 30,000 traffic lights in a row on me way to pick my daughter up from the
Kennedy Center.  This is what I wanted to express, outrage at the way society
was  treating me, and if I had to break the law and damage other's property to
do it, I have that right.  Correct?

HA I had the right to pay a $75 fine!!  How is graffiti different from this?
And when is expressing hate art? If said artists want to paint their own
property, yeah!  Go for it!  But that building in the park belongs to us all.

Nancy