[RP TownTalk] Litter Pickup

Lou King lking at knob.com
Sat Aug 17 21:52:29 UTC 2013

No James I did not miss, what I guessed was your point. I do strongly
disagree with the perceived danger.

In this day and age, if I understand correctly, work details like litter
pickup are a coveted perk, as apposed to the "39 links of chain around
my leg" era of the old south where the work gang was a part of the
definition of "years at hard labor." I remember in the '60s when
traveling, seeing chain gangs with guards holding shotguns and rifles.
That was a different thing.

We have evolved.  Volunteering for such "outside" work details by
selected, non-violent, offenders counts as good behavior and may shorten
their sentence, thus it is a desired assignment, not life threatening.
To say nothing the emotional lift from not being "inside."

Although I agree the though process of someone being held by the
Department of Corrections may be questioned, do you really think someone
with a sentence counted in days in a County facility, for not paying
traffic fines or "failure to appear" would risk years in a State or
Federal facility by even talking to a child?

Lou
O< ascii ribbon campaign - stop HTML mail - www.asciiribbon.org