[RP TownTalk] Fwd: Washington Post Story regarding copyright plan for PGCS students and teachers work

bob smith sfmc68 at verizon.net
Sun Feb 3 19:00:31 UTC 2013

Here is what I sent to the committee

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	Washington Post Story regarding copyright plan for PGCS
students and teachers work
Date: 	Sun, 03 Feb 2013 13:00:42 -0500
From: 	bob smith <sfmc68 at verizon.net>
To: 	peggy.higgins at pgcps.org
CC: 	zabrina.epps at pgcps.org, carletta.fellows at pgcps.org,
patricia.eubanks at pgcps.org, amber.waller at pgcps.org,
carolyn.boston at pgcps.org, verjeana.jacobs at pgcps.org,
donna.hathawaybeck at pgcps.org, shabnam.ahmed at pgcps.org, bob smith
<sfmc68 at verizon.net>

Ms Higgins,

I saw the Washington Post front page story this AM after the story was
brought to my attention via other Riverdale Park residents.  I have not
seen the wording of the actual planned rule/article/law and recognize I
am reacting to second hand information.

I want to inform you of my concern that has been raised by this story.
The post article indicates the wording is imprecise, and the system just
wants credit. I find that a bit of tap dancing might be going on with
that sort of comment.  I have always found the committee/board and
members to be quite capable, attentive, and aware of language nuance.
The article mentions the creative works of dedicated teachers who try to
convey and have students retain information. It also cites possible
impacts to creativity - I believe this would be a serious impact to our
school system and its excellence goals.

As a parent and now a grand parent of many Prince Georges Public Schools
students, I have had the pleasure of bragging about their education,
their successes, and of course the quality of the dedicated teachers,
staffers, and administration that has continued to improve our schools.
I would like to see the schools continue to improve, to see us continue
to attract and retain creative dedicated and gifted teachers.

I would like to ensure that interested supporters of the system are kept
up to date on committee actions this matter, and that it is resolved in
a manner that ensures the creative and entrepreneurial spirit is not
squashed or frustrated. I do not want to see staff and students driven
away. I do not want to see ACLU lawsuits brought against the board or
the county as a result of an action such as this.

Sincerely,
Robert M. Smith
5001 Riverdale Road,
  RIverdale Park, MD 20737