[RP TownTalk] Fw: [Cheverly Exchange] Fwd: 1812 Lecture with County Executive at Riversdale TOMORROW (Tuesday)

Aaron Marcavitch acornhp at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 7 20:35:58 UTC 2013

All - please see below.  There will be light refreshments and a great conversation about the war of 1812.  We have 45 books for sale - plus info on how to buy more.

Aaron Marcavitch
Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.

----------------------------

For immediate release:
October 2, 2013

For more information, contact:
Scott L. Peterson
Deputy Manager of Communications/Press Secretary
Office of Prince George’s County Executive
(240) 619-9400

Prince George's County Committee on the War of 1812 Presents Through the Perilous Fight: Six Weeks that Saved the Nation

County Executive Baker to join Author Steven Vogel for Lecture and Book Signing at the historic Riversdale House Museum

UPPER MARLBORO, MD -  Prince George’ s County Executive Rushern L. Baker, III will join the Prince George's County Committee on the War of 1812 and the Battle of Bladensburg Task Force for an Author Lecture and Book Signing with Steven Vogel on Tuesday, October 8 at 7pm at the historic Riversdale House Museum in Riversdale Park, MD.  The lecture from the author will be followed by a Question and Answer session moderated by Prince George's County Executive Rushern L. Baker, III.  Books will be for sale and signing at the event.

“I have been enjoying reading Mr. Vogel’s book and specifically the wealth and detail of all the local Prince George’s County history during the War of 1812,” said Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker, III. “I encourage all County residents who are interested in our local history to join us for this very special event.  Over the next year, the Prince George’s Committee on the War of 1812, the Battle of Bladensburg Task Force, and Maryland Star Spangled 200 Commission, will have many incredible events in the County and around the State educating our residents, the nation, and the world about Maryland’s pivotal role during this tenuous time as our country was in its infancy.”

Steven Vogel is author of Though the Perilous Fight: Six Weeks that Saved the Nation an account of the Chesapeake campaign during the War of 1812 published by Random House in May 2013. He is a reporter for The Washington Post covering military affairs and veterans. Vogel covered the war in Iraq and the first Gulf War, as well as U.S. military operations in Rwanda, Somalia, and the Balkans. He is also author of The Pentagon: A History. A graduate of the College of William and Mary, he received a master’s degree in international public policy from Johns Hopkins University’s School of Advanced International Studies.

The Prince George's County Committee on the War of 1812 is an appointed group seeking to commemorate the 200th Anniversary of the March through Prince George's County and the Battle of Bladensburg through events, programs, and organizational coordination.  The Battle of Bladensburg Task Force is a local group seeking to commemorate the battle on August 23 and 24, 2014 with a large festival, parade, and fireworks. Funding for this program has been provided by a Star Spangled 200 grant through Anacostia Trails Heritage Area Inc.

WHAT:
Author lecture and book signing of Through the Perilous Fight: Six Weeks that Saved the Nation.

WHO:
Prince George’s County Executive Rushern L. Baker, III
Author Steven Vogel
Prince George’s County Committee on the War of 1812
Battle of Bladensburg Task Force

WHEN:
Tuesday, October 8, 2013, 7:00 p.m.

WHERE:
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road,
Riverdale Park, MD.

###

Samantha Ferris
Education Coordinator
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com / history.pgparks.com
301.864.0420 / fax 301.927.3498
Like us on Facebook! / Sign up for Riversdale's e-list!