[RP TownTalk] More break ins

Maureen Farrington maureen.farrington at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 14:51:33 UTC 2014

I wanted to say that this sounds somewhat similar to what happened in 2008
when there was a string of break-ins on Queensbury Road, all the way from
Taylor Road to Route 1 (and maybe the other side of Rte 1).

My house was one broken into, and among the signs I wish I would have
heeded was that a makeup bag was taken out of my unlocked car about a week
before the burglars forced their way through a not-fully locked side door.
I found the makeup scattered in our front yard, and in retrospect I figured
out that it was part of the "casing" process.

We had a meeting about a neighborhood watch (which Sarah W. worked with me
on!) that didn't really take off, but one of the big things emphasized was
to call the police about ANYTHING suspicious. If potential thieves see a
police car roll by, not even if they get stopped, they will know that this
isn't a good neighborhood to work their trade.

Also, make sure you don't make it easy for potential thieves. Lock doors
and windows, and clear away anything that could be used to break a window
or door.

I call the police regularly about things that seem "off." They always take
me seriously, and I find them very responsive.

-Maureen