[RP TownTalk] Question about Trash Pickup

Dwight Holmes dwightrholmes at gmail.com
Fri May 16 14:39:09 UTC 2014

Bob, our service has been pretty reliable, as far as I recall. We're
also on Riverdale Rd in the 4700 block.  There may have been a miss
here and there over the time Bates has had the contract, but nothing
systemic.

But I do hope the town is monitoring and evaluating the contract
carefully.  Privatization has been popular at all levels of government
over the last couple of decades, fueled by the reasonable desire to
make best use of taxpayer dollars, and a strong belief that the
private sector does things better.  There is a growing, documented
awareness now that this is by no means always the case, and many
school districts, municipalities, etc. are now "insourcing" services
that they had outsourced to private contractors previously.  Reasons
vary, but often include "expected cost savings were not realized," "it
takes much more time and effort than anticipated to adequately monitor
the contract,"  and "quality of service was not as good as when we did
it ourselves."

I don't know if any of these problems apply to our town's contract
with Bates, but it would be good to know that it's being monitored.
Surveying residents about their satisfaction with the service would be
a good place to start.