[RP TownTalk] A Special Weekend Treat & Veterans Day Fun For Kids at Riversdale!

Ferris, Samantha Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com
Tue Nov 3 18:23:54 UTC 2015

Hello, hello!

Riversdale is giving you TWO reasons to be thankful this coming week! On Sunday, November 8, the Kitchen Guild is preparing a Thanksgiving Feast from noon-3:30pm. Looking for some new ideas for your Thanksgiving table? Look no further for inspiration than our open hearth kitchen. Members will be using 19th century recipes for some Thanksgiving favorites that you can use for your own Turkey Day  celebrations. The demo is FREE and, while supplies last, guests who "pop" by can take home a special treat that was grown in our garden! (There's a hint in that sentence!) The house and gardens will also be open for guided tours throughout the afternoon.

Children ages 8-12 are invited to spend their Wednesday, November 11 Veterans Day holiday at Riversdale during our Hands-on History Day (10am-3pm). Kids will spend the day blasting into the past with crafts, cooking, activities, and games as they learn about Charles Benedict (C.B.) Calvert's time as master of Riversdale. C.B. was a pretty cool guy; he was the founder of UMD, helped found the US Department of Agriculture, backed Samuel Morse and the telegraph (did you know the first telegraph traveled right through Riversdale's property?), was a Union supporter elected to Congress, and much more. Our capacity is limited, but we still have spaces available. The cost is $15 for residents of Prince George's & Montgomery Counties & $18 for non-resident friends. Advance registration is required - call the office and we'll be happy to help!

You can always stay in touch with us on Facebook, our e-list, and website via the links below. We hope to see you soon!

Cheers!
Samantha Ferris
Education Coordinator
Riversdale House Museum
4811 Riverdale Road, Riverdale Park, MD 20737
Department of Parks and Recreation
The Maryland-National Capital Park & Planning Commission
Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com<mailto:Samantha.Ferris at pgparks.com> | history.pgparks.com<http://history.pgparks.com/sites_and_museums/Riversdale_House_Museum.htm>
301.864.0420 | fax 301.927.3498
Like us on Facebook!<https://www.facebook.com/RiversdaleMuseum> | Sign up for Riversdale's e-list!<http://visitor.r20.constantcontact.com/d.jsp?llr=rx4axyiab&p=oi&m=1108931018481>